Sunday, April 11, 2010

a not so silent weekend


a major conference called Deaf Studies Today! was a major happening at uvu.
(as if you didn't notice the mass of deaf people everywhere you looked in orem.)

it was 3 days jammed packed with workshops, movies, food, keynote speakers, food, panels, food, friends, teachers, interpreters, food, poets, and deaf studies pioneers.


one of those amazing pioneers is this lovely lady: flavia.
not only does she kick everyone's butt at everything
but she is my teacher/mentor/coach/friend.
she basically ran this show.

how did i get so lucky to even associate with her??
i'm sure some of you feel the same.


and this lovely clan got me through my college experience:

will: taught me to never give up on what seemed like a lost cause.
(i also credit him with my knowledge of ASL swear words.)
flavia: taught me to smile. always. as well as to find my voice in such a divided world.
bryan: was the one who convinced me to transfer from byu to uvu.
(totally against the trend.)
dale: besides knowing to never volunteer in class,
he taught me "interpreting is what you do, it's not who you are."

i'm graduating in a few weeks. (yay.)
and couldn't be more grateful for my college experience.
after this conference i realized what kind of people i have around me:
professors, mentors, and especially the friends i have made.
i feel like one of a kind for such an incredible 4 years.

as rachel would say, "wolverine for life!"