Wednesday, June 29, 2011

so far


These past 3 months have been life changing. Obviously.  But I didn't exactly know what I was in for.  Not saying I was clueless-- I did help raise my brothers and sisters, babysat loads of babies, and definitely did my reading.  When we took Myer home, I did everything I was used to; everything I've done with taking care of babies.  Everything that worked for them.  I learned fast that M isn't like everyone else.  I had to get to know my baby and what makes him a happy baby.  It was a great wake-up call, and I learned loads.  So here are my tips in these 3 measly months I've had with motherhood:

*Each baby is unique.  Don't compare when other babies are sleeping through the night, sitting up first, smiling, etc.  Each baby develops at their own pace.  I have to tell myself this still when I see facebook updates about babies sleeping 8 hour nights.  We get 5-6 and I'll take what I can get.
*Laugh.  One day, I kid you not, M spit up on me so I changed pants.  Then he spit up again so I changed shirts.  Then he pooped all over me. This happened all within 1 hour mind you, and all I could do was laugh. He felt better and that's all a mommy can ask for.
*Sleep.  Everyone gave me the advice, "When baby sleeps, you sleep."  And I did this the first few weeks.  Then I thought I could handle life without naps.  Oh so wrong.  When you are well rested, you are more patient and a better mom.  I am not a good nap-taker (never have been) but I force myself to lay down for at least one 30 minute nap every day.  Life is so much better when I do.
*Be Flexible.  I am a scheduled person and at first M was on a every 3 hour feeding schedule.  Loved it.  Then he jumped to every 2 hours.  I thought I could push him to keep his every 3 hours because that is what I was used to...wrong again.  I made him more upset and myself doing this.  I didn't realize he was going through a growth spurt and was hungry more often.  Oh.  So then I thought he would go back to every 3 hours...nope.  I finally gave up to keeping my schedule and just fed him whenever he woke up. Now, he wakes up happier and goes down for naps easier. Duh.

I'm sure I will learn more as time goes on, but I need to remember to keep in tune with Myer.  I know him best.  It's amazing how I can distinguish his "tired" to the "in pain" to the "scared" cries. Mom's Intuition is real.  Another great gift to help learning mom's like me on their way.