Thursday, May 2, 2013

work related rambles



This is coming from a teacher and an interpreter.  My line of work can be...silent so I have a lot of thoughts that run through my head.  Want to hear a few?

-I never thought I could get bored at an interpreting assignment with my mind always working and my hands always moving.  Well I found that one thing that I just can't  do and keep professional.  I CAN'T DO BORING.  Give me scary, give me sad, but don't give me boring if you want me to laugh out loud.

-Last pregnancy, I was a teacher.  This pregnancy, I'm a teacher.  I don't know what it's like to "take it easy" when pregnant.  Next time, I don't want to be waking up at 6 AM and running to the faculty bathroom.  Please?

-I'm used to my students coming in announcing they got their driver's license or a first date, but now I'm getting my senior boys announcing THEIR MISSION CALLS.  Crazy.

-My students have a running list of current pregnancy cravings.  Some of them show up with bags of food for me.

-I can't bring religious books with me to interpreting assignments.  Unless I want tears running down my face.

-The counselors told me that 1/3 of the incoming sophomore class requested ASL 1 for next year.  These kind of numbers excite me and gives me hope for our program whoever teaches next year.  I like to think I had some part in the process.


-Febreeze and perfumed wrists are pregnancy-nose lifesavers in a high school classroom.

-Apparently, at an assembly last Friday, some students sang "When I'm gone" to teachers who aren't returning next year.  I'm glad my hormonal self somehow missed that.