Thursday, December 15, 2011

oh what do you do for Christmastime?


Hi there! I am thrilled to be guest posting on Bryton's blog! Isn't she lovely? She asked me to talk a little bit about my traditions for Christmas. Christmas is such a wonderful time of year and I love it more now than I did before. Here are a few of our fun holiday traditions:

-My husband and I have been married for 5 years, for 3 of those years we have dedicated our Christmas time to another family. That means that we take the money that we would spend on each others' gifts and use that to buy a gift card for a family in our area that is in need. This has been an incredible way for us to do service and help keep the spirit of the season in our home. It has been incredibly beneficial in our lives and needless to say Christmas is now my favorite time of year. 

-We do not handle "Santa" the same way that others do. I remember when I was young and I found out that Santa Clause...well...you know...I am kind of embarrassed to admit that it broke my heart. I was so upset about the truth of the matter and it really impacted me. When Peter and I discussed how to handle this with our son Owen we decided that Santa is real, for all intents and purposes. We want Owen to know and remember that Santa Clause is the one that helps us to remember others during this season. He, along with the Savior (the Savior more so than Santa), help us to remember to do service, to love one another, and to focus on the Reason and not the commercialization of Christmas. Not only does Santa help serve as a reminder for Owen, but he also stuffs his little stocking with yummy treats. 

-We try every year to go to SLC and walk around Temple Square. The lights, the company and a quick stop for hot cocoa really make for a lovely outing. 

-Christmas Eve has always been spent at my parents home. We have a very chill dinner together and watch movies, chat, play games and have fun. Then we open presents! We do our sibling gift exchange and then relax and enjoy each others company. One of the big things in our world are Christmas movies. We love Elf, Charlie Brown Christmas, Just Friends, A Christmas Story and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. FUN, FUN, FUN!

-Every Christmas morning we wake up and check our stockings. This will, at some point, serve as a way for Mommy and Daddy to sleep in, while the kids see what Santa brought for them. Then when we wake up (which let's face it, we are more excited about Christmas morning than the kid right now) I make delicious Nutella Crepes and the present opening begins! We spend the day together watching movies, playing with new fun toys and remembering our Savior. 

-I love Christmas so much. I love remembering our Savior and celebrating His birth. I am grateful for this time of year and the time it gives me with my family, friends and other loved one. I hope your Christmas is filled with joy and love. 

Merry Christmas!

-Hugs

Ashely  (visit her blog called Our Party of Three)

picture found here