Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Solitary Holiday

photo via me

Hello friends of Bryton's! I am Rachel from Blogging is for Lovers and I know Bryton from college. She's pretty swell, no?

My love for Christmas has waned over the last few years. I can't stand the songs and decorations until after Thanksgiving, and even then, it's barely tolerable. I never know when the Christmas cheer is going to hit, but it eventually does and we all have a magical season.

I got to wondering why I'm such a notorious Scrooge, I used to love all this stuff! And then it dawned on me - I associate Christmas with family. Don't get me wrong, I adore my fam, but I don't have my own to start traditions with. I haven't lived with my parents for many, many years and I always seem to live quite far from them. They're in Utah and I've been as far as San Diego and I'm currently in DC. Sigh. We have so many wonderful Christmas traditions that I miss terribly in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I don't partake in those anymore because I don't see them until a few days before the big gift giving extravaganza.

I am definitely looking forward to the day when I can have Christmas cheer as early as Thanksgiving (maybe earlier!) because I get to watch how my children react. Is there any better holiday for kids? No. Definitely not. I live for the moment when my amazing nieces and nephews open their presents (and let's face it, as one of the single aunts I'm constantly competing for title of FAVORITE).


I'm going to be home on the 23rd and I'll hopefully be able to sneak in some of my favorites:
-my mom has a huge collection of Christmas stories and we would read one a night after reading scriptures as a family
-we would do 12 Days of Christmas for a family at church (my brother is a hurdler and is amazing at doorbell ditching and then running like lightning)
-German Oven Pancakes for breakfast!!!
-we watch White Christmas every Christmas Eve and sing along like fools (Bing Crosby - swoon)

Those are just a few, I'm sure I'll chastise myself later for the ones I have forgotten. What I'm really looking forward to is the day when I get to start traditions with my own little family and we get to make new magic every year.

See how the Christmas spirit hit me this year here, and stop on by Blogging is for Lovers any time

Merry Christmas!