Thursday, July 25, 2013

Guest Post: Heather Von St. James


I am 44 and a mother to a quirky little 7 year old, Lily. She is my only child, and my whole world. When Lily was just 3 1/2 months old, I was diagnosed with Mesothelioma; a type of cancer that kills 90-95% of those who have it. Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos exposure, and I was unknowingly exposed from my dads work clothes when I was just 9 years old. As I’m sure you can imagine, the first thing that came to mind when I was diagnosed was my baby girl and how I wasn’t going to be able to watch her grow up.
 
After intense treatment and recovery, I’m still here 7 years later and cancer free! My journey with cancer was a terrifying one and I'd like to turn my pain into purpose and become someone that other people can look to for guidance, inspiration, and hope in situations like my own. I’m trying to raise awareness of this horrible little known cancer that is such a deadly killer (and sadly, 100% preventable).  
 
For more information or to read more about my story please click here.

Thanks Heather for sharing your story with us.  We admire your courage and strength.  We wish you well on your journey in finding treatment and a cure for others.
P.S. isn't her hair fantastic?!